A new blog from the creator of The Vincent Zandri Vox about writing, traveling, and the world in the present tense.

Sunday, September 22, 2019

So what are you gonna write about?

So what are you gonna write about?

That's the question I almost always get when I tell people I'm here in a place like Romania and destinations beyond to gather research for a new novel. In this case, probably a Chase Baker thriller. I always answer them the same way.

"I haven't got a clue."

Then comes the scrunching of the forheard and the squinting of the eyes.

"How can you not know what you're gonna write about?"

That's when I really freak them out by saying, "I just write in the dark."

Now the brow scrunching and eye squinting is followed by a shake of the head and a confused grin.

"How do you see the words on the page in the dark?"

No one actualy asks this but I know it's what they're thinking. So before they can get another word out, I just tell them the truth. That I usually come up with a working title and a general plot concept and start writing. Amost always, the words flow through me like electricity through wires.

In other words, I'm not a writer so much as a conduit. Now how weird but cool is that?

www.vincentzandri.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment