A new blog from the creator of The Vincent Zandri Vox about writing, traveling, and the world in the present tense.

Sunday, September 8, 2019

Making a living or make a life...




...That's the dilemma isn't it?
How did Thoreau so aptly put it?

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." 

Okay, in all candor, I'm no Thoreau expert and the only reason I can reproduce that quote is because it came to me in a bit of digital spam yesterday. But its message hits home, because it nails my philosophy entirely.

So I wanted to make a life of writing, traveling, adventuring, fishing, eating, drinking...all those things that seemed like the stuff of well, fiction, way back when, when I had worked a real job (I say real job with the tongue stuffed in cheek). But the real job meant security, a health plan, a 401K, and more. In my case, it might have meant real wealth since I was in line to take over the company. But the 9-5 and 9-noon on Saturdays, two weeks vacation per year felt like a trap (especially on Sunday night...You all know that feeling).

I wrote my first sports piece for the Times Union Newspaper in summer 1991, received a $50 check in return and realized I might be able to do this for a living. That check was the only validation I needed.

And so I went to writing school, got the agent, sold the first novel, and so on and so forth. The writing life has seen many valleys and peaks since then. Editors, agents, and fellow authors have come and gone. I've won a few awards that collect dust. There's the divorces and the heartbreaks, and the loaded bank accounts and empty ones too.

The life has been magnificent and continues to be so.

But get this shocker: Recently, I actually toyed with getting the real job again, since the business of putting out book after book was getting to be a bit overwhelming. But when a good friend said to my face, and I quote: "You would never last in a real job," I slapped myself out of my spell, and decided to spend at least half the summer fly fishing, which I proceeded to do. No regrets.

Over the course of the next two years, a new book, boxed set, and/or novella will be published, by at least two different publishers including my own Bear Media. This does not include anything else that comes along, and there will be plenty of opportunities. Just the sheer number of products in my store should guarantee I will be making the living while continuing to the make the life...

---According to Thoreau's philosophy, that is.

Damn the torpedos...
Onwards...

Oh, and Primary Termination is FREE today only. There's been a lot of chatter about this one. Grab it up if you want.   

WWW.VINCENTZANDRI.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment